Science at St. Luke’s
At St Luke’s, we believe science is about developing children’s ideas and ways of working that enable them to make sense of the world in which they live. This is done through thorough investigation, as well as using and applying process skills. We believe that a broad and balanced science education is the entitlement of all children, regardless of ethnic origin, gender, class, aptitude or ability.
Through science, in our school we aim to:
- Encourage the development of positive attitudes towards science.
- Foster curiosity: children’s enthusiasm and curiosity for science is promoted at every opportunity.
- Prioritise practical: pupil led practical ‘hands on’ science learning is planned for and maximised, giving a real-life context where possible.
- Have fun: science is engaging and fun.
- Promote talk and deeper thinking: ‘Bright Ideas Time’ is used as an effective tool to promote questioning and the generation of ideas.
- Research carried out by doing further reading on topic, by using the internet and books to enquire.
- Be scientific: correct (age-appropriate) scientific vocabulary is confidently used and modelled by staff.
- Get outside: the outside area and locality are utilised to provide regular outdoor learning experiences.
- Practise safe working in accordance with the Primary Schools Code of Practice.
- Encourage open-mindedness, self-assessment, perseverance and developing the skills of investigation – including: observing, measuring, predicting, hypothesising, experimenting, communicating, interpreting, explaining and evaluating.
- Make cross-curricular links between science and other subjects and apply their mathematical knowledge to their understanding of science, including collecting, presenting and analysing data.
- Equip pupils with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of science, today and for the future.
- Develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics.
Long Term Plan